Friday, January 29, 2010

February goals

Last month didn't quite go as well as I would have hoped. But then again I suppose keeping at it is a key part of the process. Discipline is a BIG goal I have (though I haven't yet figured out how to break it down to a monthly piece-- tips anyone?), so I'm dusting myself off and trying again.

So here are my goals for February:
1. Once again: maintain my 4x week yoga + 1 spin workout schedule. Here comes the hard part: add one session a week. One session of anything: rock-climbing, weights, cardio.. whatever gets me to the gym.

2. In addition to my two monthly goal meet-up posts, post thrice this month.

3. I'd like to have at least some of my current career conundrum figured out. However, I've figured out what I want, but a lot of the decisions that would make it happen aren't mine to make. I'm not sure if this really counts as a 'goal' as a lot of it is out of my hands.

4. Network and conduct informational interviews. I've been doing a lot of questioning lately: is this the right company/position for me to work now? What if I were doing X, or Y, or if I lived in London, New York, or Harare? A lot of the information I need to figured out what I want is info I can get from others-- largely from people I already know. This is an important one: reach out to at least 4 people who either have jobs I think I might want, or work at institutions that interest me, and pick their brains about their career paths, choices, gripes, etc. Better yet, get some advice and maybe even connections to other people I can grill. This will really help give me DIRECTION, a central element to building any sort of career path, that I've been missing.
(Note to self--- low-hanging fruit = Guy, Cecilia, Patti, Chelsea, Stephen.)

5. Automate my finances. I'm largely on top of my finances, but there are some basic steps I need to do a little bit of research about, then take, e.g. having an emergency fund, saving $ for several big events/trips, thinking about my 401k, etc. ING should make this easy-- I just need to do it!

- - - - - - 

To participate in the meet-up:
1. Post a list of your career/life related goals for March, along with your checked off February goals if you’d like, on your own blog.
2. Go back to Brazen Careerist and leave a link to your post (*If you don’t have your own blog, feel free to share your list in the comments to join in!)
3. Then, check out everyone else’s lists as they leave comments - click their links, visit their blogs, say hello, meet, greet and support each other because that’s what it’s all about!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you have a pretty incredible workout schedule! I'm trying to 4x of anything. Sometimes I swim, sometimes I do yoga. I walk a lot too, but at some point that becomes pretty neutral as far as effort.

    I think the finances piece will also help easy your mind. I know that I automate almost everything, and those pesky manual pieces always get me. It's good to keep finances running smoothly...

    ReplyDelete